Cosmetic dentistry offers a variety of minimally-invasive procedures to boost your confidence and change the shape of your teeth.
Your smile is often the first thing people see when they meet you, and it’s important to make a good impression. But if you have teeth that are unusually shaped, you may feel self-conscious about your smile. Fortunately, cosmetic dentistry offers a corrective solution for nearly every problem people encounter with the size and shape of their teeth.
Let’s discuss some of the most common problems with tooth shape, and how your dentist can address them with minimally-invasive procedures.
Common Cosmetic Concerns
There are a wide variety of dental abnormalities that affect tooth shape and size. If you’re self-conscious about the appearance of your teeth, your dentist can recommend a tailored cosmetic solution based on what you wish to change.
There are a few common issues with tooth shape that dentists often encounter, including:
- “Short” teeth
- Teeth that are too big or too long
- Chips and cracks
- Obvious fillings
Fortunately, there is a cosmetic option available for each of these concerns. Once you’ve decided what you wish to change about your teeth, the next step is to visit your dentist for a cosmetic consultation.
What Procedures Are Available?
Cosmetic dentistry offers procedures to alter your tooth shape that are minimally-invasive and long-lasting. The price and chair time of your procedure will depend on the amount of work done.
The most common procedures include:
- Bonding. To create more shape and mass, your dentist can add resin to the surface of your teeth in a procedure called dental bonding. Bonding is commonly applied to the sides of your teeth to fix gaps, and it can be used anywhere on the surface of your teeth to fix chips.
- Crowns. Crowns are essentially prosthetic surfaces that fit over your entire natural tooth. The most common use for crowns is to cover up obvious fillings, but they can also be used to conceal teeth that are chipped or too small.
- Veneers. Your dentist can apply veneers by bonding a thin layer of durable porcelain to the front of your teeth. If you’re bothered by the shape, color, texture, or spacing of your teeth, veneers are an effective way to cover up the surface of your teeth entirely.
- Other types of odontoplasty. Odontoplasty is the process of removing and reshaping your teeth with a drill. This is most commonly used for teeth that are highly misshapen, or too big. The procedure isn’t as uncomfortable as it sounds, but it’s usually more costly than other options.
Before you visit your dentist to change the shape of your teeth, it’s wise to keep in mind what you wish to change, and which procedures are used to address your specific needs. With the right cosmetic dentist, your smile can brighten up in no time.
Cosmetic Dentistry at Espire
Cosmetic dentistry has a ripple effect on your whole life — and a brighter smile can help you approach every new encounter with confidence. At Espire, our experienced dentists offer a wide variety of cosmetic procedures for reshaping your teeth. If you think it’s finally time to freshen up your smile, request an appointment at Espire today.